A 7-year-old Florida boy was electrocuted in his family pool last Sunday due to a faulty light.
Calder Sloan was enjoying a race in the pool against his nanny’s 22-year-old son Gary when both were shocked. Gary felt the shocked and yelled at Calder to get out of the pool, but the boy apparently did not hear, the Miami Herald reports.
Calder may have brushed up against a highly corroded light fixture, the family said.
Calder’s father, Chris Sloan, said the family had hired an electrician to fix a light that wasn’t turning on about nine months earlier. His brother, Greg Sloan, said that electricians told him earlier this week that the light didn’t seem to be properly grounded.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
“Somebody did not do their job,” Chris Sloan said.
A neighbor ran over to perform CPR when the nanny knocked on her door in a panic. Paramedics arrived soon after, but it was too late to save the boy.
Chris Sloan, thanked those who tried to help at the Friday memorial service for the boy the family called “Mr. Awesome.”
“We’ve been through hell. All you tried to do was save Calder’s life and there’s absolutely nothing you could have done. You did everything,” Sloan said.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
“Please, everybody, the reason we wanted the news media here is get your electric, the things you never expect, get your electricity checked. Make sure your house is grounded, your pool light is grounded. Make sure. Just, anything physically possible,” Chris Sloan said. “You gotta hold your kids tight and protect them.”
Master electrician Walter Sanders said that water in pool lights is a common occurrence— and a potentially fatal accident waiting to happen.
“Water and electricity don’t mix,” Sanders reminds all pool owners.
“Make sure you don’t have 120 volts introduced into your water, in case a glass breaks or a leakage, and obviously you want to make sure your system is well grounded,” Sanders told CBS.
A well-grounded system ensures that in case something goes wrong, the electricity will flow into the ground and not to those in the pool.
North Miami police Maj. Neal Cuevas told the Herald that the police still have much to investigate.
“We know the manner of death. We have to figure out the circumstances surrounding the death,” he said.
A memorial fund has been set up in Calder’s name.