A gas main break and subsequent house explosion sent 15 people to the hospital in Stafford Township, New Jersey.
The massive blast, which was caught on police dashcam, occurred after neighbors complained of foul-smelling natural gas early Tuesday morning. The house in question was reportedly under renovation, and when locals started complaining about the smell, firefighters, police, and emergency workers went from home to home and asked people to evacuate as they worked to fix an apparent leak.
Workers were outside the home trying to fix the leak when the house suddenly exploded. Fire Chief Jack Johnson was reportedly 50 feet away from the house when the explosion occurred and described the moment to reporters.
“It happened so quickly, the explosion, debris all around us coming from nowhere," Johnson recalled to the AP, according to Huffington Post. "It knocked you off your feet, a shock wave, the concussion of it. It's something I never want to experience again."
As a result of the massive explosion, 15 people were sent to the hospital for treatment; seven of the injured were gas company workers, six were firefighters, and two were emergency management technicians. By Tuesday night, all but one were released from the hospital.
Currently, reports say that two of the injured gas company workers are in critical condition.
"It looks like a war area," Max Von Ness, a local plowing contractor said. "It's just destruction. There's debris all over the place."
All homes in the surrounding area have been evacuated, and officials are hoping to restore gas and electricity to locals as soon as possible.