A Washington mother posted a heartbreaking photo to show how her infant son died, and to warn other parents of the dangers of putting a baby to bed with a blanket.
Jordan DeRosier explained her 7-month-old son's death in a Facebook post, to respond to those who blamed baby Sloan's death on vaccines, according to the Daily Mail.
"To those who keep commenting and messaging trying to blame vaccines for our son's death - stop," wrote the mom. "Initially I had not wanted to explain the detailed circumstances of his death because of my guilt and the fear of condemnation from others. But I will not allow anyone to try and place blame where it does not belong."
"He was last laid down to bed with this blanket made by his great-great grandmother, and one other blanket, a grey one he had been attached to since birth," said Jordan in the post. "They took the grey one he had been found with his head in. He had pulled it through the crib rails somehow and gotten himself stuck in it."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
The mother spoke about her guilt over Sloan's death, and warned other parents to be cautious.
"'You never think it will happen to you. You never think it will be your baby," wrote Jordan. "Please do not put your babies to bed with a blanket. Please. He was 7 months old, I thought because he was crawling, standing on his own, and climbing, that he would be fine with a blanket."
The post included an image of an emotional Jordan holding one of the blankets that was in Sloan's crib when he died.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
"This is the face of immense, unfathomable grief, the face of longing, of heartbreak, of self inflicted GUILT. I will NEVER stop feeling responsible," she wrote. "I will relive this for the rest of my life knowing EXACTLY what I could have done differently. Please learn from my world shattering mistake."
The post, which has gained thousands of shares on Facebook, led to an outpouring of support for the mom, Metro reports.
"So very sorry for your loss but it most definitely is not your fault; my children slept with a blanket at seven months - you’ve done absolutely nothing wrong," said one user. "All mothers would give their lives for their children and your no different please stop putting the blame on yourself."
"My heart is literally aching for you," commented another. "I have a 3-month-old son who is attached to his blanket and this is my greatest fear. I pray for your strength and healing. I’m so incredibly sorry for your loss."
BabyCenter advises not to let a baby sleep with a blanket until the child is at least 12 months old. Even after a year, it's safest to keep your baby's crib mostly empty, the site cautions.