Model Gigi Hadid performed her spot-on impression of Melania Trump during the American Music Awards Nov. 20 (video below).
As part of her short routine, Hadid changed her facial expression, added an accent and plagiarized Michelle Obama's life: "I love my husband, President Barack Obama, and our children, Sasha and Malia."
Mediaite.com notes that many Trump fans accused Hadid of bullying, compared Hadid's impression to President-elect Donald Trump's bragging about sexually assaulting women and called for a boycott of Maybelline products:
- "People talking about Trump not treating women like women, Did you watch one of your own last night#boycottmaybelline @Maybelline @GiGiHadid."
- "I never want to hear @GiGiHadid stand up for people being bullied. YOU ARE A BULLY!!! Disrespectful, and should be ashamed of yourself!"
- "More hypocrisy from the left, celebrate women & immigrants but @GiGiHadid makes fun of Melania's accent, bashing a woman immigrant. #noclass."
- "Ladies, please call @Maybelline & tell them UR boycotting them until they publicly apologize 4 @GiGiHadid mocking Mrs Trump."
- "Gigi Hadid showed the highest form of disrespect possible to the next first lady. Unforgivable! #AMAs."
- "@GiGiHadid @MELANIATRUMP Has class & dignity. She's a great mother, you owe her an apology for that disgusting display on #AMAs #GigiHadid."
- "@GiGiHadid You have ZERO class!! How dare you 'mock' Melania Trump when your own PARENTS are immigrants!! Talk about a hypocrite!"
- "Gigi hadid is 'anti bullying,' but then turns around and bullyies melania trump for her accent & face. Classless. @GiGiHadid #amas."
USA Today noted yet more outrage from Twitter users:
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"So shocked to see @GiGiHadid mock @MELANIATRUMP, so disrespectful to women everywhere !! #AMAs You need to apologize !!!"
"A new era of bullying is starting. It's not coming from where we expected. @GiGiHadid#AMAs."
Hadid has not tweeted any responses yet, but she did stand up for herself in September on Instagram when she was attacked for her body shape, which she did not do to Melania:
No, I don’t have the same body type as the other models in the shows. No, I don’t think I’m the best at any given show. Yes, I want to have a unique walk, but I also know I have to improve. No, I’m not the first or the last model of my type in this industry...
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Yes, I have boobs. I have abs, I have a butt, I have thighs, but I’m not asking for special treatment. I’m fitting into sample sizes. Your mean comments don’t make me want to change my body, they don’t make me want to say no to the designers that ask me to be in their shows, and they definitely don’t change the designers opinions of me.
If they want me in their show, I’m in it. If they don’t, I’m not. That’s just how it is and how it will be. If you don’t like it, don’t follow me, don’t watch me, cause I’m not going anywhere. If I didn’t have the body I do, I wouldn’t have the career I do. I love that I can be sexy. I’m proud of it.