Man Says Nine-Volt Batteries Caused Fire At His Home (Video)

| by Dominic Kelly

After a man changed the batteries on his smoke detector, he placed the old nine-volts in his junk drawer. The problem? Well, his house wound up catching fire.

Reports say that David Miller of Fort Collins, Colorado put the old batteries from his smoke detector in his junk drawer after changing them, and because of that, a fire broke out at his home.

“The morning of the fire, I had moved the bag around and that's apparently what caused the batteries to get into the right position to short against each other,” Miller explained.

Sadly, this isn’t the first time something like this has happened, and fire experts say it’s an easy and dangerous situation for someone to find himself or herself in.

“A 9 volt battery is a fire hazard because the positive and negative posts are on top, right next to one another,” the New Hampshire Department of Public Safety said in a statement, according to The Blaze. “If the ends come in contact with anything metal i.e. aluminum foil, steel wool, paper clip, other batteries, etc. this will create the object to heat up and ignite a fire.”

Experts say a simple way to prevent this from happening is to place electrical tape over the terminals.

“Maybe not every battery is going to start a fire but they can, so it's a simple thing to prevent,” Miller said.

Sources: The Blaze, WCPO / Photo Source: The Blaze