Some unidentified workers at a Jimmy John's restaurant in Jacksonville, Florida, were caught on video (below) jumping rope with dough that is used to make sandwiches. They also played with the food in other ways.
The stomach-churning Snapchat video went viral, and the employees were fired, notes WJXT.
A Florida Division of Hotels and Restaurants inspector checked the restaurant on Jan. 10, and found the leftover dough was trashed after the unusual playtime. However, the sandwich shop was cited with 17 violations.
Surprisingly, local reaction was mixed.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"That’s disgusting," Latisha Ware told the news station. "That’s pretty gross."
"Or at least don't put it on social media," Ware added. "I can only imagine what the health inspector is going to do to them."
"They’re having a little fun, but maybe it’s just not the right time, so maybe it would worry me a little bit," Brooke Crawford stated.
Two Jimmy John's managers refused to speak to the news station, but owners James and Rebecca Williams did issue a statement on the incident:
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Our investigation confirmed the dough used in the video was immediately discarded after the incident, however we do not condone this behavior from our employees and appropriate action has been taken to prevent this from ever happening again. We have been serving the community at this site for more than four years and will continue to provide only the highest quality and freshest product to our customers.
Steven Dial, a reporter for local station WTLV, posted the video on his Facebook page, and garnered numerous comments:
I mean, if it was going to be tossed in the trash anyway, no big deal. If it was going to be used for consumption after having been played with, not cool.
Surely it is to be thrown away!!!!
Not that big of a deal. I mean it isn't going to kill you. Do you know how many restaurants drop your steaks on the floor on accident and put it back on your plate. If you knew all the things that happens to food before you buy it at the store or at a restaurant. Not saying it's okay but come on. I'd still eat it because that sub is still going to taste good. lol.
it doesn't look like they were going up taint anybody's food they're not rubbing it on their junk and making somebody a sandwich.
That is just plain nasty.