Children of all abilities can reap the rewards of learning sign language, especially children with special needs. In fact, as parents and professionals who interact with children with special needs know, often the frustration that children can experience is rooted in their difficulty with communicating effectively. Signing is a great way to help your child build a working vocabulary to assist with communication and ease frustration.
Children with all types of disabilities can benefit from learning American Sign Language (ASL), including autism, Down Syndrome, apraxia, speech and language delays, Cerebral Palsy, and many others.
Signing empowers children with special needs by offering them a multitude of cognitive, emotional, and social benefits, including:
- Improved communication skills
- Increased speech and language development
- Increased confidence and self-esteem
- Increased social-interactions
- Reduced negative behaviors
- Creation of a more peaceful learning environment
Let the Sign Shine!
Etel Leit, M.S.
Founder & Owner www.SignShine.com