Conan O'Brien to TBS: 'My Plan is Working Perfectly'

| by Mark Berman Opposing Views

When Conan O'Brien left NBC earlier this year, it was assumed he would eventually turn up hosting a late-night show on FOX. Well, O'Brien is indeed returning to late-night, but it will be on cable network TBS.

The network made the surprise announcement on Monday, the same day O'Brien starts a nationwide comedy tour. TBS says talks with O'Brien started just last week. O'Brien's new show will start in November, and will air at 11pm. That will push the recently launched George Lopez talker "Lopez Tonight" to midnight.

But is this the minor leagues for the ginger comedian? In a tongue-in-cheek statement, O'Brien said:

"In three months, I've gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theaters, and now I'm headed to basic cable. My plan is working perfectly."

O'Brien's $45 million severance package -- $33 million for him, $12 million for his staff -- from NBC bans him from being on television until September.