Last week, the Seminole County School District issued a perfunctory apology to the Perez family after finding “zero evidence” that 5-year-old Gabriella Perez was told not to pray by a teacher at Carillon Elementary in Oviedo, Fla. back in March.
"We found zero evidence an incident ever occurred," said Seminole County School District spokesman Mike Lawrence, last Wednesday. "There's no proof whatsoever."
"We apologized for the incident she believes occurred, but there was nothing warranted or found," added Lawrence.
Popular VideoThe average American throws away 82lbs of clothes:
The Orlando Sentinel reported that the Perez's lawyer, Jeremy Dys, of the Liberty Institute, said the family was “grateful” for the school district’s apology and the promise that students are allowed to “exercise their First Amendment freedoms."
However, Dys and the Perez family rejected the apology two days later and claimed the school district is lying about its investigation, reports RightWingWatch.org.
In a letter to the Seminole County School District last Friday, Dys demanded the school district release video footage, emails to or about the Perez family and phone records.
Dys said the school district's apology wasn't "a real apology" and "we're not really confident the investigation actually took place."
Dys also claimed that Lawrence made “false and defamatory statements publicly and intentionally” about the 5-year-old girl and her family.
“Mr. Lawrence went out and essentially called our client a liar,” added Dys.