President Obama Calls For Reforms To Gun Laws After San Bernardino Massacre

| by Nicholas Roberts
President Barack Obama speakingPresident Barack Obama speaking

In the wake of the horrific shootings which killed 14 people and injured another 17 in San Bernardino, California, President Barack Obama has reemphasized his support for reforming gun laws in the United States.  

The shootings in San Bernardino were the deadliest since the Sandy Hook massacre in Newton, Connecticut in Dec. 2012.

The President had been scheduled to appear on an interview with CBS News on Dec. 2. CNN reports that Lisa Monaco, the President's homeland security adviser, briefed him on the shootings only moments before the interview was slated to start.  

During the interview, Obama said that "common sense gun safety laws" were needed, and urged a bipartisan effort to pass a law preventing individuals on a "No Fly List" from legally purchasing firearms.

"We should never think that this is just something that just happens in the ordinary course of events because it doesn't happen with the same frequency in other countries," said Obama.  

His comments during the interview echoed a similar one that he made in Paris just one day before, where he drew a contrast between the U.S. and other countries on the frequency of mass shootings.

Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina sharply criticized President Obama and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton for their characterizations of the shootings and their advocacy of gun control, ABC News reports.

"Everything points to a terrorist attack, a homegrown terrorist attack such as the FBI director has been warning us about," said Fiorina during a Fox interview.  While she did make any direct inquiries as to the motives of the shooters, Fiorina did say that the shooting resembles a terrorist attack and that she would treat it as such if she were president.

President Obama has not discounted the possibility of terrorism, but he also said it was possible that it was a workplace-related shooting.  

The Washington Post reports that the FBI has taken over the investigation as of Dec. 3.

Sources: CNN, ABC NewsThe Washington Post / Photo Credit: Daniel Borman/Flickr