Democrat Donors Divided On Whether Hillary's Email Scandal Impacts Her 2016 Hopes

| by Ethan Brown
article imagearticle image

Donors ready to open up their wallets for Hillary Clinton’s assumed run for president in 2016 were reportedly stunned after it was revealed she used her personal email account while holding the title as U.S. Secretary of State.

While some of her donors blame the Republican Party and the media for their intense coverage on the issue, others are worried that the latest scandal may derail her chances of winning the Democratic nomination, CNN reports. A recent poll, however, states that Democratic voters support Clinton over any other challenger.

Alan Patricof, a longtime friend of the Clinton’s, said that there isn’t a “scandal” going on.

“I don’t perceive any concern among the donor community who recognize that this is just one of many issues that gets blown out of proportion when it relates to Clinton,” Patricof told CNN.

Another anonymous donor felt the opposite way, saying, “It is a huge distraction and will take a long time to resolve.”

In a press conference on Mar. 10, Clinton explained that she had cooperated with authorities and rules concerning the matter, but would not allow investigators to take her personal server, which was the primary server used to send the emails. According to Clinton, the server contains personal information, such as conversations with her husband, planning her daughter’s wedding and making funeral arrangements for her mother. 

While she said “it might have been smarter” to have to different e-mails accounts for her work and personal life, she also said “it didn’t seem like an issue” at the time.

Critics were quick to jump on Clinton’s comments, one being the head of the Republican National Committee.

Reince Priebus said shortly after Clinton spoke, saying, “Because only Hillary Clinton controls her personal email account and admitted she deleted many of her emails, no one but Hillary Clinton knows if she handed over every relevant email."

Priebus is referring to the 31,830 e-mails that were deleted by Clinton herself before and during the investigation. She turned over 30,490 emails to the U.S. State Department late last year, or half of all the e-mails she had received as Secretary of State.

Still, Republicans continue to insinuate that information about the controversial attack on a U.S. embassy in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, 2012, may have been purposely deleted by Clinton, as she was in charge of the embassy as Secretary.

Sources: CNN, USA Today, Business Insider, Opposing Views

Photo Credit: U.S. Department of State, WikiCommons