A 16-year-old boy died after drinking a liquid that was spiked with methamphetamine while being questioned at a border crossing.
Cruz Marcelino Velazquez Acevedo of Tijuana walked into the United States from Mexico on Monday evening using the pedestrian entrance at the San Ysidro Port of Entry, according to NBC San Diego.
The teen was reportedly stopped by U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents due to a discrepancy on his Visa.
Fox 5 San Diego notes that the teen was carrying two small containers of amber-colored liquid when he crossed the border. Under questioning by U.S. border agents, the boy claimed that the bottles had ordinary “juice” in them and drank some of the contents, San Diego Police Department Lt. Mike Hastings said.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Agents said one of their drug-sniffing dogs signaled, so they took the teenager into custody. Acevdeo then reportedly became agitated and started screaming. San Diego police investigators said he admitted to agents that the liquid was a “chemical.” Paramedics were called and they had to sedate Acevdeo before transporting him to the Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
NBC San Diego adds that agents said they ran tests on the liquid that tested positive for liquid methamphetamine. A member of the UCSD Poison Control center said the substance can show life-threatening side effects within minutes because it hits the stomach quickly.