Politics

Dick Cheney Will Speak Against Iran Deal In Public Address

| by Ethan Brown

Former Vice President Dick Cheney will address President Barack Obama’s Iran deal in a speech at the American Enterprise Institute on Sept. 8.

According to a news release from the institute, Cheney will speak about the deal’s “consequences for the security and interests of the United States and its allies in the Middle East.”

Cheney’s speech will occur just nine days before Congress votes on authorizing the deal into place. So far, Obama has received the support from 28 Democratic senators, with two in opposition. To defeat Republicans, Obama needs at least 34 Democratic votes, Politico noted.

Last month, Cheney made numerous appearances on cable news programs to deride the deal and the Obama administration.

“What Obama has done has, in effect, sanctioned the acquisition by Iran of nuclear capability. And it can be a few years down the road. It doesn’t make any difference. It’s a matter of months until we’re going to see a situation where other people feel they have to defend themselves by acquiring their own capability. And that will, in fact, I think put us closer to use — actual use of nuclear weapons than we’ve been at any time since Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War II,” Cheney said.

“The fact of the matter is that the situation we’ve got when Iran ends up with nuclear weapons, that is bound to lead others in the region to protect themselves and in effect acquire their own capability,” Cheney added.

In the summer of 2007, Cheney advocated for military strikes against the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps but was rebuked by the Pentagon, which did not feel the Bush administration was justified in the attack, Asia Times reported in 2008. Michael Gerson, former speechwriter for President George W. Bush, says the former vice president put two different options on the table.

“Engaging in hot pursuit against weapon supply lines over the Iranian border or striking explosives factories and staging areas with Iran,” Gerson wrote in a column for The Washington Post in July 2007. At the time, the Pentagon was worried about problems that Iran could cause to U.S. soldiers fighting in Iraq and did not grant the administration the authority to attack.

Sources: The Washington Times, Politico, Asia Times / Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons/Ktr101