The next season of "American Idol" will apparently be without one of its original hosts -- Paula Abdul said she is quitting. She wrote on her Twitter page Tuesday night:
"With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return to 'IDOL.' I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day 1 become an international phenomenon."
Abdul's $5 million per year contract expires this month. Her negotiations with FOX and the show's producers have been public and bitter. There were reports Abdul was asking for as much as $20 million per year to continue on television's top rated show.
FOX and the producers issued a statement early this morning, confirming Abdul will not be back:
"Paula Abdul has been an important part of the 'American Idol' family over the last eight seasons and we are saddened that she has decided not to return to the show."
All of this came just a day after "Idol" re-signed Kara DioGuardi, a songwriter who was added to the panel of judges last year. Ever since DioGuardi was hired, there was speculation that she was brought on to replace Abdul -- although the producers and the women denied it.
Abdul's time on the show was filled with controversy, from on-air fights with co-host Simon Cowell, to loopy behavior that some said was the result of substance abuse. Abdul always denied those accusations.
Adbul has threatened to quit before, but when push came to shove, she always came back. This time, though, it seems for real. A quote from her lawyer last month was the handwriting on the wall: "She's not a happy camper as a result of what's going on. She's hurt. She's angry," David Sonenberg told the Los Angeles Times.