Health officials are reportedly investigating the deaths of Brittany Murphy and Simon Monjack, over suspicions that mold in their home may have contributed to their deaths.
Actress Murphy collapsed and died in the shower of her Hollywood Hills home last December. Her death was caused by pneumonia and anaemia. Five months later, Monjack died of nearly exactly the same causes at their home.
The mold issue cropped up early in the investigation of Murphy’s death but was determined “not to be a contributing factor,” reports TMZ, but when Monjack died, suspicions were raised again.
The presence of mold might explain the damage to both their respiratory systems, says TMZ.
Murphy’s mother, Sharon, had initially refused to co-operate with the L.A. County Coroner’s Office and allow access to the couple’s former home to investigate the mold. She’s now agreed to let the Department of Public Health examine the house.
Monjack’s mother Linda also supports the decision, and will be flying from Europe to keep a close eye on the investigation.
Tell you what, when the Coroner’s report said Monjack had died of almost exactly the same causes as Murphy, alarm bells were a ringing – which makes the mold theory all the more plausible.
I’ll keep you posted on developments…