Health

Man Dies from Caffeine Overdose

| by Mark Berman Opposing Views

The death of a British man, who died after ingesting caffeine powder, was ruled accidental at an inquest last week. But his grieving family insists it was no accident. They claim the powerful, apparently deadly material is too easily available.

Michael Bedford, 23, swallowed two spoonfuls of the powder at a party in April. The caffeine in those two spoonfuls is equivalent to drinking about 70 cans of Red Bull. That's why the product comes with a warning telling people to consume just a sixteenth of a teaspoon at a time.

He quickly got sick, threw up, began slurring his words, and collapsed. "He was puking up blood and he was sweating really bad," a friend told the Nottingham Evening Post.

He was dead moments later.

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Bedford was able to buy the powder online for around $5. The ease with which Bedford was able to get the product is what disgusts his family.

"It makes me feel sick," his grandmother Glenis Noble told the newspaper. "I feel like it should be banned."

"I think there should be a warning on it saying it can kill," added his aunt Sue Burton.

"This should serve as a warning that caffeine is so freely available on the Internet but so lethal if the wrong dosage is taken," Coroner Dr. Nigel Chapman said at the inquest.