A northeast Ohio woman is suing her gynecologist claiming he sprayed her genitals with a chemical used to unclog drains, when she went in for a routine colposcopy.
In an exclusive with local news channel WKYC, the woman, who wished to be identified only as Laura, said she went in for a routine colonoscopy at Paragon Health in Akron, when Dr. John Black squirted a solution into her vaginal canal.
The bottle was marked as diluted vinegar, but the lawsuit claims Black sprayed her cervix with potassium hydroxide, which began breaking down her skin.
Laura said she immediately felt a painful, burning sensation.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
“It was like an open cut with rubbing alcohol being poured into it,” she said.
Black allegedly suspected that something was wrong. He put a tiny amount of the solution into a cup and tasted it on the tip of his tongue.
He began flushing out her vagina with three bottles of saline.
He applied a cream to numb the area with his bare hands, telling her not to worry about diseases.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
“I hope you’re not offended,” Laura claims Black said. “I just want to let you know I’ve been married forever, and I don’t have any diseases.”
Hours after she left Paragon Health, Laura says she got a call from a doctor who said she needed to get to the emergency go to the emergency room at Akron General Hospital’s immediately.
According to hospital records, a plastic bottle cap was found behind Laura’s cervix.
The hospital also told Laura that the pH level of the liquid sprayed into her vagina was a harmful 12 or higher, not the harmless 7.5 that Paragon told her.
Her husband Paul, who has demonstrated outside Dr. Black’s clinic after the incident, says his wife is permanently injured. She is unable to have sex, go swimming, and experiences irregular bleeding.
“It soaks in and continues to soak in and burns from the inside out,” Paul said. “It’s not meant to go inside anyone’s body.”
Potassium hydroxide eats the skin.
It literally breaks up the skin,” said Cleveland State chemistry Professor David Ball. “It decomposes the skin.”
Ball showed WKYC how the chemical broke down the meat of a hotdog in just minutes.
A Cleveland State chemistry professor demonstrated just how caustic potassium hydroxide is by placing a partial hot dog into a container with the chemical, and the meat began falling apart within minutes. “It literally breaks up the skin,” said Professor David Ball. “It decomposes the skin.”
Laura, who had hoped for more children, says she will likely need a hysterectomy now.
“This a scenario that no woman would ever, ever imagine,” she said.