A Los Angeles woman is speaking out about how her quest to have the perfect body ultimately lead to near death and a life of physical impairment.
Apryl Brown says that she was working as a hair stylist in 2004 when a client told her that she did silicon injections cheaply. Brown was intrigued by the woman, as she had been wanting to fix her flat butt since she was a child.
Brown ultimately agreed to let the woman give her silicon injections, and when it came time for the procedure, she arrived at the client’s home, laid down in her bedroom, and got four injections in her butt cheeks.
Brown says that it wasn't until she was receiving her second treatment that she realized that what she was doing was dangerous.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"A voice just came to me like: 'What are you doing? Are you serious? You are going to allow somebody to inject something into your body and you have no idea what it is,’” said Brown to CNN.
The treatments stopped that day, and the years that followed were spent dealing with massive pain and frequent trips to see doctors.
Eventually, in 2010, Brown’s health started to deteriorate quickly, as she noticed her hands and feet start to turn black and curl up. Doctors eventually determined that Brown had a serious staph infection.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
“I was in pain, my butt was hard, and I was itching,” said Brown. When the silicon was eventually removed from her buttocks, she was shocked to discover that it wasn’t silicon at all.
“It was bathroom caulk, sealant,” said Brown.
Twenty-seven surgeries later, Brown was faced with her own mortality.
"I didn't think about losing my children. I didn't think about leaving my mother," said Brown. "Although I will be dead, I will not be in pain anymore."
In order to save her life, doctors were forced to amputate her hands, feet, and flesh from around her butt and hips. Today, Brown is completely recovered from the infection, but her life has completely changed.
Doctors say that although Brown’s story is rare, people should still be aware of the serious consequences that could come from DIY plastic surgery.
"I think that's awfully seductive to a person who doesn't know there's a problem," said Dr. Richard Glogau to CNN. “People assume it's just as easy as getting your hair colored, and at the end of the day it's a medical procedure.”
Brown says she hopes that others can learn from her experience.
“All I would ask them to do is, when they have that first thought, make sure they have a second thought about it and do a little research,” said Brown. “They won’t be blindsided, and they won’t be saying, ‘Oh, my god, I had no idea that a simple procedure like that can leave me with no hands, no feet and no butt cheeks.’”
The status of the woman who performed the bogus procedure on Brown has not been reported.
Sources: CNN, WPTV, EurWeb