Mud Run Leaves Woman Blind In One Eye (Video)

| by Jonathan Constante

A woman in Dallas was left blind in one eye after a flesh-eating bacteria latched onto her eye during a mud run.

It was Brittany Williams’ first mud run and it may have very well left her scarred for life.

“My eye started hurting, like maybe I’ve got mud or some debris in there,” Williams told CBSDFW (video below). “When I opened my eye, it was just like white. The whole room was white.”

Williams said the debris cut her eye and allowed the flesh-eating bacteria to destroy her cornea.

“It just completely melted off of my eye,” she said.

The mother with two jobs spent a week in the hospital and racked up a total of $100,000 in medical bills. She said she had recently canceled her health insurance.

“I’ve had health insurance before and I never used it,” Williams explained. “I never went to the doctor and I just spent lots of money for nothing. So I didn’t see the point at the time when we couldn’t afford it.

“You don’t think you’re going to go to the doctor and someone’s gonna say you owe $3,000 for eye drops," she added.

The family made a GoFundMe page to help pay for treatment to prevent the bacteria from spreading throughout Williams’ body. As of this writing, the page has raised $6,032.

There is a chance that Williams’ vision can be restored with surgery, but several local doctors have denied her treatment because of her lack of insurance.

Still, Williams remains optimistic.

“Even though people go through horrible things, I make the best of it,” she said. “Because there’s no point in sitting and sulking, because it’s just going to make the rest of my days miserable.”

Sources: CBS Local, GoFundMe

Photo Credit: GoFundMe