'I Instantly Felt Sick': Human Fingernail Discovered In Marshmallow (Photos)

| by Sean Kelly
article imagearticle image

A mother in England was horrified when her daughter nearly ate a marshmallow that had a human toenail in it.

Sam Deacon, a 29-year-old baker from Wimbledon, said she bought the bag of marshmallows for her 4-year-old daughter, Charley.

Marshmallows are Charley's favourite [sic] treat so she talked me into opening them,” she told Mirror. “We were down to our last two in the packet when she noticed something hard on one of them. She took it off and we looked at it, thinking it was a bit of hard sugar. Then a realised [sic] it was a nail.” 

Deacon said she was horrified by the discovery, though thankful that it was discovered before her daughter ate it.

“I instantly felt sick. I couldn't believe we had been eating the marshmallows that had been touching it. I'm very angry, but if she had eaten it, I would have been furious,” she said. “Charley now won't touch another marshmallow - this has put her off for life. To be honest it still makes me feel sick thinking about it now.”

The marshmallows, manufactured by grocery company Tesco, were reportedly purchased a couple of weeks prior to the incident and were originally intended to be used for Deacon’s business. If her daughter hadn’t convinced her eat the marshmallows instead, she said, they would have ended up in a customer’s baked goods.

“If that had ended up in a customer's cake, I'd have been closed down,” Deacon said. "There's no way a small company like mine could have survived that. But a supermarket giant like Tesco think they can just brush it under the carpet. I'm 100% that it is a human nail as it has the little ridges of a nail and the exact curve of a finger or toe. It's an absolutely vile thing to find in your food!”

“I don't know whether it's from a finger or a toe though. It looks like a toenail from the colour [sic] and the thickness but I have no idea how that could have got into the machine so it could be a finger nail,” she added.

The incident came nearly a year after Deacon found a hair in a sandwich she purchased from Tesco. 

In response to the disgusting find, Tesco sent Deacon a £10 [$15.31] voucher.

“I don't know how companies like this think they can get away with such poor food hygiene,” she said. “A marshmallow is not like a natural product like some salad, where occasional bugs unfortunately do get left in. This must have been made in a factory where someone wasn't following the proper hygiene procedure."

A Tesco spokesperson subsequently responded to the controversy.

“We set ourselves the highest standards for our products and are always disappointed when a customer is dissatisfied,” the spokesperson said. “We have strict processes in place to ensure incidents like this do not occur. Our customer service team have apologised [sic] for any distress caused and asked Mrs Deacon to return the product to her nearest store. We will then carry out an investigation and update her with our findings."

Sources: Daily Mirror, Daily Mail

Photo Credit: Mercury via, WikiCommons