Woman's Eye Super-Glued Shut After Friend Mixes Up Eye Drops And Glue

| by Jordan Smith
Katherine Gaydos with her left eye super-glued shutKatherine Gaydos with her left eye super-glued shut

A 28-year-old single mother from Florida was temporarily blind for over a week after a friend accidentally glued her eye shut with what was thought to be eye drops.

Katherine Gaydos was clearing leaves with a friend when a piece of debris flew into her eye, Daily Mail reported.

“Something blew into my eye, and I screamed for someone else to get eye drops out of my purse, and they brought super glue and poured it in my eye,” Gaydos told ABC News. “I closed my eye and screamed and called 911.”

“It’s stuck to my eye and my eyeball, and it really hurts,” the mother of two told WPBF News.

A doctor initially warned Gaydos she could lose her eye, Daily Mail reported. He was treating her with antibiotic salve and ointment, according to WPBF News.

Gaydos found out Oct. 7 that the doctor would not provide her with any further treatment until she paid for it.

“He was talking about doing surgery to try and save my eye, but now I don’t know what to do -- I don’t have a job, no insurance or any money,” she said.

According to Daily Mail, Gaydos attended an emergency room later Oct. 7, and her eye was successfully unstuck -- eight days after the accident. It is not clear from reports if she will require any further treatment.

Dr. Pankaj Gupta told ABC News he had seen several cases where eye drops and glue had been confused, resulting in eyes being glued shut.

“The first thing I think everyone needs to know is don’t panic,” said Gupta, an assistant professor of ophthalmology at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.

Noting that eye cells would naturally slough off over time and weaken the glue’s grip, Gupta added, “There is not a single thing that is permanent that will not slough off on its own.”

He reassured anyone in a similar position to Gaydos' that there is no danger of a permanent loss of eyesight, but that they should seek medical treatment immediately.

Sources: WPBF News, Daily Mail, ABC News / Photo credit: Screenshot/WPBF News