A woman in Troy, Michigan, was shocked to discover a deadly black widow spider inside a package of grapes she bought at a local Wal-Mart.
Ariel Jackson, 25, was reportedly about to wash a bunch of grapes while preparing for a family barbecue at her sister’s house, when she spotted something crawling around.
“She was screaming about a huge spider, and everyone was like, 'Calm down, it's probably nothing,'" Jackson’s boyfriend, Michael Frank, told ABC. “But we took a closer look and lo and behold, it's a black widow. It had the red hourglass-shaped spot on its belly."
Jackson frantically called both the fire department and an animal shelter to try and figure out what to do with the spider, but both departments were closed. She then called 911.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
“When I called them, I said, 'This isn’t really an emergency, but I have a black widow spider,'" she said. “And he’s like, 'Just kill it,’ and I’m like, 'Me? You want me to kill it?’"
Frank said Jackson’s brother then sprayed the deadly spider with an insect killer. It died after “quite a few sprays.”
"It was definitely frightening," Frank said. “My girlfriend is still definitely shaken up. The smallest little things freak her out now. I mean, it's not every day you see a black widow spider."
Wal-Mart subsequently responded to the incident in a statement to ABC News.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
“Our stores have procedures in place to help ensure products meet our high expectations for fresh, quality food,” the statement read.
“We take food safety seriously and encourage customers to work with store management so that appropriate measures can be taken to fully understand what may have happened."