Corroded Watch Battery Removed From Boy's Nose (Photo)

| by Michael Howard
Bao's X-rayBao's X-ray

A 5-year-old boy in China may have caused permanent damage to his nose by keeping a watch battery in his nostril for six months.

Xiao Bao's parents took him to the doctor when his nose, which was oozing pus, began giving off a strong odor, according to the Daily Mail. Doctors removed the battery after discovering it in an X-ray.

Bao sustained serious damage to his nasal septum, the bone and cartilage dividing the two nostrils. Due to his age, however, doctors reportedly cannot operate on him, as the procedure would carry with it significant risks. They have to wait until he turns 18.

The battery, which Bao deliberately put up his nose, was beginning to corrode and had burnt his flesh by the time doctors removed it. It had been causing a continuous runny nose along with a regular discharge of pus.

The other children in his apartment complex had reportedly taken to calling Bao a "monster" due to his oozing nose.

As doctors are unable to operate on him, Bao can expect to suffer from a stuffy nose, nosebleeds and breathing issues.

Surprisingly, this is not the first time a young boy has damaged his nose with a watch battery.

In 2014, a 4-year-old boy in the U.K. had a leaking battery removed from his nose. It had been in his nasal cavity for a month after doctors initially mistook it for a Rice Krispie, according to the Daily Mail. Like Bao, the boy now has a hole in his septum and will likely suffer from breathing problems for the rest of his life.

Sources: Daily Mail (2) / Photo credit: CEN via Daily Mail

Should Bao's parents have taken him to the doctor sooner?
Yes - 0%
Yes - 0%