Fatal Fall: Woman Dies From Multiple Organ Failure After Tripping Over Kitten

| by Emily Smith

A U.K. woman tragically died from multiple organ failure after she tripped over her pet kitten in November 2014.

An inquest into Archer's death was held on Aug. 6, and the Woking Coroner's Court heard how Vivian Archer, 55, fractured multiple ribs after tripping over her pet at her home in Surrey, Daily Mail reported.

Following her fall, Archer made several trips to East Surrey Hospital after complaining of chest pain. Her condition worsened and she died at the hospital on Nov. 12, 2014. She was found dead at the hospital by her husband. She is also survived by a son, James.

Archer reportedly had a past of depression and alcohol abuse. She had also been traumatized by a fatal road accident last year that resulted in the death of a motorcyclist. Although she admitted to drunk driving, Archer was found not guilty for his death.

“She was well liked, a lovely person and she had a lot of friends,” James Archer said. “She did have some hard times, especially in the last years of her life but overall she was a happy person.”

Dr. Karen Henderson ruled out alcohol as having a role in Archer’s death, according to

"I’m also satisfied on the evidence I have heard today that taking her own life, an overdose or anything like that did not play any part as to how she came by her death," Henderson said. 

Instead, Archer's cause of death was determined as multiple organ failure followed by septicaemia and pneumonia. 

Sources: DailyMail, Metro

Photo Credit: WikiCommons, Flickr CC via