U.K. woman Claire Henderson has warned parents not to let strangers kiss their baby on the mouth after her own child was hospitalized with fatal cold sores.
“Please share this with every new mum and pregnant woman you know,” Henderson, from Doncaster, England, wrote on Facebook on Sept. 16. “COLD SORES CAN BE FATAL FOR A BABY.”
Henderson, who is engaged to her partner Steven Perkins, wrote that before 3 months old, a baby can’t fight the herpes virus, Huff Post UK reported. If the baby contracts the virus, it can suffer from liver and brain damage, which can lead to death.
“I know this sounds like I am scaremongering but if my friend had not told me about this my baby girl could have been very seriously ill,” Henderson wrote.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Henderson noted that as soon as she noticed cold sores on her baby, Brooke, she rushed her daughter to A&E. Brooke spent three days on a drip and two days in observation.
Eighty-five percent of the population carries the herpes virus, according to DailyMail. NHS Choices noted that cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus and usually clear up within 10 days. While the condition is often mild in adults, it can cause severe damage to newborns.
To date, Henderson's post has been shared on Facebook over 35,000 times.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Photo Credit: Facebook