Health

Toddler Fights For His Life After Swallowing Oven Cleaner

| by Lauren Briggs

A toddler is fighting for his life after he reportedly swallowed oven cleaner and burned his throat, vocal chords, tongue, and stomach.

When 31-year-old mom Naomi Thomson, of Newcastle, England realized that her 2-year-old son, James, had swallowed the deadly substance, she was horrified, according to Mirror.co.uk.

“At first I thought he was choking – it looked like he was screaming but there was no sound coming out," she told the Newcastle Chronicle.

Naomi saw the oven cleaner bottle and realized what had happened.

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

“I'll never forget that look in his eyes, they were just filled with fear," she said. "It was as though he was saying 'mom, help me' without being able to speak."

Emergency services rushed James to the hospital, where staff put him on a ventilator in the intensive care unit.

"I just remember sitting there by his hospital bed, thinking that I could be burying my own son, it was terrible," Naomi said.

Medical tests indicated that James’ lungs were badly damaged.

“He'd been vomiting blood and obviously he couldn't eat anything so he needed to have surgery to fit a special feeding peg into his stomach,” Naomi said. "I knew this was a life threatening situation and it was horrible."

In February, surgeons removed a 1-inch section of scar tissue from his badly damaged esophagus, Chronicle Live reported.

Surgeons have operated on James more than 25 times in attempts to open up his throat.

Naomi said this “difficult time” has turned him into “a very quiet, shy little boy.”

She recently bought him a puppy in an effort to help socialize the isolated little boy.

“It does seem to have helped and his talking is starting to come along a bit better now," she said.

According to the concerned mother, James is showing signs of recovery, although he will need to make frequent visits to the hospital for a long time.

“I couldn’t be more proud of him,” said Naomi, who recently nominated the boy for a Chronicle Champion Award. “And he truly is the strongest little boy I know. He always has a smile on his face even though he has been through so much pain and surgery.”

Sources: Mirror, Chronicle Live
Photo Credit: Pixabay, Mirror.co.uk