A 2-year-old boy in Texas is on life support after a serious E. coli infection.
Landon Huston's parents, Lindsey Montgomery and John Huston, noticed their son showing signs of being ill after they returned home to Ennis, Texas, from a trip in Oklahoma, Daily Mail reports.
During their trip, the family went swimming in a hotel pool and a natural spring, according to KTVT.
"I'd never heard of people swimming and [getting] E. coli," John said.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Montgomery said that three or four days after they returned home, Landon became ill. "Landon's got fever, diarrhea, really sick," she said.
After a fecal test confirmed that the toddler had an E. coli infection, his parents took him to a Dallas children's medical center. A complication from the infection led to Landon developing Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, which destroys red blood cells and can lead to kidney failure.
"They asked me where he had been, what food he had [eaten], any restaurants," Montgomery recalled.
The medical center's Chief of Pediatric Infections Diseases, Dr. Jeffrey Kahn, said that it's important to find the source of an E. coli infection to prevent an outbreak.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
"That suggests that there’s some contamination somewhere," explained Kahn. "It's usually water or food and typically that means it's not just one individual who’s been exposed."
E. coli often comes from contaminated and undercooked ground beef, according to WFAA. Young children whose immune systems have not fully developed are especially susceptible to the infection. The CDC estimates that E. coli infects around 100,000 Americans a year and kills about 90 people in the U.S. per year.
"Most parents like us had no idea, you know, the dangers of something like this," said Landon's mom. "And it's everywhere. E. coli is something that's everywhere."
Landon suffered a complication while undergoing dialysis, and Montgomery said he lost a large amount of blood.
"They of course, rushed us out of the room and into the emergency room," she said. "He lost like [12 ounces] of blood. But they were amazing. They were able to do the surgery in like 30 minutes."
Montgomery said in a Facebook post on June 18 that while her son has a "long journey ahead" things were "looking more positive." He is expected to make a full recovery.
The mom said that she's "ready for my little boy to be back."
"We can't hold him," she said. "We can't love on him. All we can do is just stand at the bedside."
"I have faith he's gonna come out on top," John said.