Health

Student Mourned Following Death From Severe Allergic Reaction

| by Sean Kelly

A first-year student at an Ontario, Canada, university died during her first week of classes from a severe allergic reaction.

According to Global News, 18-year-old Andrea Mariano died at the hospital from an anaphylactic reaction to a smoothie she purchased on campus during her second day of school at Queen’s University.

Popular Video

It turns out President Trump's budget has $2 trillion error in it:

Mariano reportedly went into anaphylactic shock immediately after taking a sip of the smoothie, and was rushed to Kingston General Hospital. She died in the hospital a few days later on Sept. 18, CBC News reported.

"She had a severe peanut allergy and as a result, was always cautious about the food she ate and always asked if it contained peanuts," friend Teresa Tucci wrote in a statement to Global News. "She died from a very severe anaphylactic reaction caused by cross contamination with the smoothie that she had ordered on campus."

Popular Video

It turns out President Trump's budget has $2 trillion error in it:

“The doctors have said, even if she had both EpiPens with her, it was that severe, whatever it was that she had ingested … this was inevitable,” Mariano’s cousin, Hedellaine Valentin, told Global News.

Queen’s University principal Daniel Woolf responded to Mariano’s death, sending condolences to her loved ones.

“I would like to express my deepest condolences to Andrea's family on behalf of the Queen's community,” he told CBC News. “We are saddened by the loss of this promising young woman."

The university is now reviewing its food services, according to Global News.

"The health and well-being of our students is of the utmost concern to us and we will review the many services we have in place to ensure they are consistent with best practices," school officials said.

Sources: Global News, CBC / Photo credit: cbc.ca