Spongebob Squarepants, the beloved cartoon character, not only lives in a pineapple under the sea, but also briefly took up residence in a 16-month-old boy’s esophagus.
The toddler was sent to King Abdulaziz University Hospital in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, after swallowing his sister’s Spongebob Squarepants pendant, LiveScience reports.
Dr. Ghofran Ageely, a radiology resident at the hospital, was surprised to discover exactly what the object was. She told LiveScience in an email she initially thought it was a pin or hair accessory before viewing the X-rays.
“Then I opened the frontal view and was shocked," Ageely wrote. "'SpongeBob,' I screamed!!! I was amazed by the visible details. You can see his freckles, shoes and fingers…AMAZING."
Ageely posted about the find on Radiopaedia.org, a Wikipedia-type forum where radiologists and medical students discuss medical cases.
Other radiologists were just as impressed by the X-rays as Ageely. “We see a lot of amazing X-rays on our site, but this one is particularly amazing," said Dr. Andrew Dixon, the managing editor of Radiopaedia and a radiologist at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, Australia.
Dixon explained that Spongebob’s appearance, including his stuck-out tongue, is so clear because the details were cast in metal as opposed to being painted onto the pendant.
“As a father, I know kids put things in their mouth all the time," Dixon said. "But as radiologist, we see this not infrequently."
Spongebob was removed from the toddler’s esophagus without any complications.