Solomon Womack was found unresponsive in his parents' home in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, after an outpatient tonsillectomy at Children’s Hospital, WISN reported.
After his parents noticed their 9-year-old’s breathing had become labored, they called for help and Solomon was rushed back to the hospital, where he died three days later, on Feb. 15, the New York Daily News reported.
According to the medical examiner, Solomon was given oxycodone after his surgery and his mother gave him another dose that day. It’s unclear what caused his death and an autopsy is scheduled for Feb. 16. Gary Womack, the boy’s father, said the oxycodone has been sent to a “independent third party” lab for analysis, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported.
Tonsillectomies are a relatively common procedure and Solomon underwent the surgery to alleviate his difficulties with eating and sleeping. In fact, more than half a million are performed on children in the U.S. every year, but Marc Gorelick, chief operating officer of Children's Hospital, said, "... serious complications from standard procedures are extremely rare.”
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Gorelick added: "On behalf of all of our doctors, nurses and medical staff, I want to express our sadness and deepest sympathy to the family."
According to an obituary, “Solomon was our heart and soul and was wise beyond his nine short years. He lived his life full of love and had so many plans for the future.
“Depending on the day, he wanted to be an outdoorsman, a farmer, a marine biologist, a police officer or detective. He was full of life and all were privileged to know him.”
The family has not spoken to the press and it is unclear if Solomon was survived by any siblings.