A mother shares her story about the day she learned her child had a potentially deadly allergy.
Jenny Taylor recounts the day in which a simple meal changed her life forever. In a post on Let's Talk Mommy, Taylor describes the immense guilt she felt after giving her child a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and hopes to raise awareness about severe allergies, as reported by Let’s Talk Mommy.
Taylor gave her son a peanut butter sandwich with strawberry jelly, her favorite flavor of jam on this classic meal. As she waited for a smile to confirm how much he enjoyed it, the child went into anaphylactic shock. He started coughing, vomiting, and his eyes rolled back in his head. The child fell unconscious during the short car ride to the hospital.
When they arrived, Taylor ran past the reception through the double doors and screamed that her child was in anaphylactic shock.
“A doctor to the right of me, moved faster than I had ever seen anyone move and gave you a shot that made you gasp and me cry out in relief," Taylor wrote. "My baby was alive. He saved my son.”
According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, anaphylaxis can be fatal if not promptly treated with epinephrine.
After the child was dismissed from the hospital, Taylor said she was terrified to leave the house with him for six weeks, and paranoid about everything she fed him. Years later, her son has several known allergies, but she constantly fears the worst.
“I can’t take my son anywhere without the anxiety of this day flooding back even after four years.”
Taylor wants to reach out to other parents through her post.
“It’s a completely different life taking care of a child with allergies. You don’t just have to protect them from bumps and scrapes but every person they come into contact with is a risk. […] It’s a never ending circle of paranoia.
She hopes that other parents whose children have severe allergies do not feel guilty about their children’s potential allergic reactions.
“As long as you are always ready to react…you are doing your very best,” she said, as reported by LiftBump.
Sources: Let's Talk Mommy, American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, LiftBump / Photo Credit: Let's Talk Mommy