Health

Mom Upset After Son Comes Home From School With Burns

| by Tony Tran

A Georgia mother is up in arms after her son came home from school with several burns on his body. He allegedly got the burns from the playground’s monkey bars.

Krystal Boyer is upset with the school for not notifying her of her son’s injuries right away, reports WSBTV.

Popular Video

SNL is not a fan of the Trump administration, and it shows with every new skit they produce. Do you think they need to tone it down?

“When he got off the bus, he showed me his hand and both of his hands were blistered up because they were burned while he was playing on the monkey bars at school,” the mother said.

Popular Video

SNL is not a fan of the Trump administration, and it shows with every new skit they produce. Do you think they need to tone it down?

Her son, Jaydon Boyer, 6, told his mother the teacher simply told him to run water on the injuries.

“To me it was kind of shocking and upsetting because I was not notified by a teacher about what happened to my son,” Krystal said.

When she followed up with the school the following day, officials told her that the issue occurred on the monkey bars.

“I was actually shocked that they were playing outside in the heat as hot as it was yesterday,” she said.

A Cobb County School spokesman told reporters the principal apologized for the incident and even told teachers that they need to be more careful when watching the children while they are outside.

In an email, Jennifer Gates of the Cobb County Schools said, “We do not have a formal policy regarding weather and outdoor play with regard to heat, but as always recommend that school administrators and teachers always be vigilant about student safety, which is Cobb Schools' No. 1 concern.”

She continued, “As we have experienced a number of hot days in succession, all are aware that heat is a serious concern for students, particularly if they're playing outdoors. School principals and their staff take every precaution to ensure students are safe, cool and hydrated during these hot days if they elect to take outdoor recess or exercise breaks.”

According to Dr. Martin Coles, who works in the emergency ward of a children's hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, it is not unusual for children to burn themselves like this.

“I have seen children with pretty severe second degree burns on their hands after touching something like that,” the doctor said.

Coles said children can also be burned on their feet from hot pavement.

He suggests children have “some shade to be in” and also wear sunscreen and remain hydrated.

“They need to be careful in the schools about hydration. I think 15 minutes of recess is fine,” he said.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, uncoated metal playground equipment, such as slides and swings, pose a burn risk to children. Parents should be aware of the amount of sunlight and heat when taking their children to the playground.

Source: WSBTV, CPSC / Photo credit: WSBTV