'Accidents Happen': Mom Warns Of Danger After Son Suffers From Secondary Drowning (Photos)

| by Sean Kelly

A mother in California took to social media to share a heartbreaking photo of her 3-year-old son after he nearly died from something known as dry drowning.

Darcy McQueeney was reportedly at a pool with her friends and family on Aug. 14 when her 3-year-old son, Ezra Coleman, jumped into the pool without floatation aids, Yahoo Parenting reported. He was quickly pulled from the water and all appeared to be well.

Hours later, however, McQueeney found herself in the hospital with her little boy as he fought for his life.

“He only went under for less than thirty seconds," she wrote in a Facebook post on Aug. 15. "He was being watched by two sober, conscientious adults who were both less than ten feet away in a gated pool. That is likely why he is alive, because he was grabbed out of the water quickly.

“However, that small blip of time was all it took for him to inhale water. The water he inhaled caused him to spike a fever, desat, and become unresponsive due to a possible seizure.”

Ezra, according to McQueeney, was “never unconscious” but experienced a sudden drop in energy hours after the incident at the pool. She decided to taker her son to the emergency room because she “knew” in her gut that “something was wrong.”

While at the hospital, doctors determined that Ezra suffered from secondary drowning, also known as dry drowning. Secondary drowning is a rare occurrence in which fluid becomes trapped in the lungs.

“Do not ever leave children unattended near any source of water. Even following all of the rules, accidents happen,” she wrote.

“Even if they are acting ok after near drowning, please take them to the hospital," she added. "What if we had assumed he was ok and put him to bed? I don't know how to stress this enough.”

(Ezra, Photo Credit: Darcy McQueeney/Facebook via Yahoo Parenting)

McQueeney said she posted the photo of her son in the hospital at the request of his nurse, who wanted other parents to have the opportunity to learn from the terrifying incident. 

“We know not to leave our kids unattended,” she said.

“We know that pools should be gated," she added. "We use the flotation devices designed for kids. What most parents don’t know is that even after taking precautions, when these accidents happen, kids are still in danger even after being pulled from the water fully conscious.” 

Sources: IJReview, Yahoo Parenting

Photo credit: Darcy McQueeney via Yahoo Parenting