Doctors in Mexico originally suspected a 17-year-old girl had contracted a sexually transmitted disease, until they learned she had injected Krokodil into her genitals.
The 17-year-old, who was not named, is the first case of Krokodil in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco.
Doctors said they were shocked by the “severe lacerations” on the patient's genitals.
Known as the “drug that eats junkies,” the morphine derivative is cut with chemicals like household cleaners, paint thinner and even gasoline. It’s known to rot flesh at the injection site, a condition otherwise known as gangrene.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"The young woman who used this drug had an infection that had rotted her genitals," José Sotero Ruiz Hernández of Mexico's National Institute of Migration told Mexican newspaper El Periodico Correo.
"It wasn't sexually transmitted,” he added. “She said she'd been using Krokodil for the last two month.”
The patient told authorities that the drug was readily available and that she’d also seen it in Mexico City.
More potent than heroin and three times cheaper, Krokodil originated in Russia and was named for the crocodile after it gave users green, gangrenous skin.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
It has spread across Russia since 2002, with 3 million users in 2011, New York Daily News reported.