Peter Maynard, a 56-year-old man who reportedly loved sea salt, died from a sodium overdose in Farnborough, England, on Oct. 28, 2015.
An inquest during the week of Jan. 11 revealed that Maynard had a very high sodium level in his blood, which caused him to suffer from excess fluid in his brain, notes the Sevenoaks Chronicle.
"He never sprinkled salt on his food," Peter's wife, Emma Maynard told a coroner at the inquest, according to the Chronicle. "But with the sea salt he kept saying to me if I don't have it I'm going to die. The last time he took it I said to him I can't watch you take it because I can't be held responsible for what happens to you.
"He said nothing is going to happen to me I know what I am doing."
"I tried to hide the sea salt from him, but he kept saying you are trying to kill me by hiding it," she added, according to the Daily Mail.
Maynard was found to have a sodium level of 191 mEq/L at the Princess Royal University Hospital. A normal healthy level is 140 mEq/L.
Maynard was also experiencing seizures and pneumonia before he died in the hospital. He had been treated in the past for epilepsy, schizophrenia and a wasting disorder.
Maynard was suffering from a lung infection when he went to the hospital. Although this wasn't the first time he was hospitalized, his wife felt this time was different.
"In all the time I had been with Peter, never had I seen him in such a state," Emma said. "He was dying in front of me. I felt like I could do nothing."
The coroner ruled that Peter died of natural causes.