A 2-year-old girl died seven days after a battery from her father's 3D glasses became lodged in her throat, an inquest heard Oct. 4.
Francesca Asan began bleeding from her nose and mouth after she swallowed a spare 3-volt lithium battery in May.
Francesca's father, George Asan, said he kept spare batteries in a drawer so his 2-year-old daughter couldn't get to them, Metro reports.
"I thought they were safer in the drawer," George said. "Apparently I didn't do enough."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
When her parents first noticed that Francesca was not feeling well, they took their daughter to her doctor, who told them she might have food poisoning. Then a dentist suggested it could be a teething problem.
Shortly after that appointment, however, Francesca went "floppy" in her father's arms.
"I ran home with her, and we changed her nappy because it was black," George said.
He then called a taxi to go to the hospital and screamed for help in the back seat as Francesca began to gasp for air.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
At the hospital, doctors tried everything they could, but it was too late.
"When they put the tube down her throat, all the blood came out," George recalled.
She passed away later that day.
After her tragic death, doctors discovered that blood clots had formed in her stomach after the battery corroded in her throat.
During an Oct. 4 inquest, coroner Andrew Bradley said that acid likely leaked out of the battery after the casing corroded.
Bradley added that Francesca's bleed was "catastrophic" and that she had a 17-ounce blood clot in her stomach.
"Francesca was clean, well cared for and adequately nourished," Bradley said. "There are no features to suggest neglect or physical abuse."
"We have a very busy house with many kids, but it is important to make sure batteries cannot be accessed by them," George said outside of the courtroom, according to the Daily Mail.
"Francesca had a very strong will and was a very strong character. As soon as you met her, you knew she left a very big imprint on the world and had so much life, more than people who live a lifetime. She was a fully grown-up princess. She had a big heart."