A concerned mother’s Facebook post is raising awareness about the potential negative effects some cereals can have on children.
Misty Lynn took to Facebook to write about how the dye used in Apple Jacks cereal caused her baby girl to get a rash, KFOR reported.
“Had to take Harper to the doctors today. Had no clue what gave her this rash until Steve told me that she had Applejacks cereal for the first time this morning. Poor girl! Did more research on it and this is what I found…
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"Apple Jacks has the most popular food dyes known to cause behavioral problems in children; yellow 6, blue 1, red 40 and BHT. These food dyes are now illegal in Europe, but perfectly acceptable in America. BHT is a common stabilizer in pesticides, gasoline, lubricants, and soaps, but are also found in Apple Jacks. Yellow 6 has been linked to tumors in lab mice and red 40 has been known to cause severe allergic reactions.”
The post, which is accompanied by pictures of the baby’s rash, has been shared more than 3,300 times since being added to Facebook on Sept. 23. Research shows that Lynn has a valid argument.
According to WhyDye.org, some dyes -- especially the ones used in Apple Jacks -- can be harmful to children.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
The website states that FD&C Yellow #6 can cause a myriad of problems for kids, such as stomach aches, hives, allergies, hyperactivity, mood swings and headaches. It has reportedly been banned in Norway and Finland.
The site also states that Blue #1 dye was so problematic that the FDA asked doctors to stop adding it to enteral feedings because patients were dying from it. The dye reportedly caused metabolic acidosis and refractory hypotension.
Red Dye #40 was also listed as potential danger. The possible side effects of the dye include headaches and migraines, hyperactivity, decreased concentration, and sleep disturbances.