Gabby Scanlan Drinks Cocktail with Liquid Nitrogen, Doctors Remove her Stomach

| by Michael Allen

Gabby Scanlan, 18, had her stomach removed in an emergency surgery after she drank a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen at a bar in Lancaster, England on Thursday.

Scanlan was rushed to hospital after she began suffering severe stomach pain. Doctors diagnosed her as having a perforated stomach and surgically removed it to save her life, reports

The bar, where Scanlan purchased the cocktail with liquid nitrogen, stopped selling the trendy drink as police launched an investigation.

Liquid nitrogen is used to chill ingredients or glasses, and to create a smoky effect. However, liquid nitrogen is not meant to be inhaled or ingested. If swallowed, it can cause severe burns and tissue damage.