3-Year-Old Boy Dies From Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (Photos)

| by Jonathan Constante
Bryan-Andrew LockBryan-Andrew Lock

A mother was left devastated after her 3-year-old son died from sudden infant death syndrome.

Jasmine Shortland, 23, learned that her 3-year-old son, Bryan-Andrew Lock, might have mumps, Mirror reported. She didn’t want her 4-month-old baby, Ivan, to contract the disease so she sent Bryan to his grandmother’s house with his other younger brother, Austin.

When Shortland dropped the boys off, she remembered Bryan telling her, “I'm not very well mommy.”

"I know. I will see you soon when you're better," Shortland replied.

They later spoke on the phone, and Bryan said, "Goodnight, I love you," to his mother before hanging up.

The following morning, at about 8:15 a.m., Shortland was awoken by a loud banging on her front door.

"It was my step-dad David,” Shortland told Somerset Live. “He was crying. He said, 'Bryan's gone.’

"I just fell on the floor screaming and crying."

Bryan’s grandmother, Debbie Lock, said the boy woke up at around 3 a.m. and had some juice before going back to sleep. She said his last words were, "Goodnight, Nanny, I love you."

"The next morning, Mom told me she heard Austin had woken up and she thought that was strange because Bryan-Andrew always woke up first,” Shortland said. "She went in the bedroom and she could see he'd gone.

"She screamed to David. He rushed in, started doing everything he could. He was trying to do mouth-to-mouth, but [Bryan's] little jaw had locked."

The boy was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Shortland and her partner, Josh Westcott, 20, were devastated.

"I just broke down when they told us he'd gone," Shortland said. "Josh and I collapsed on the floor, and I was just screaming.

"You just can't explain to people what it feels like; I have to go on because of the other two, but it's like a huge hole where something's missing."

The family started a GoFundMe page to help cover the toddler’s funeral expenses. The page raised more than $3,800 in 12 days.

"Friends and family have been wonderful," Shortland said.

"But there is nothing to fill the gap," she added. "My poor little boy has been through so much now, and we just want to lay him to rest."

Bryan’s death was diagnosed as sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS. According to the NHS, SIDS is the sudden, unexplained death of an apparently healthy baby. Just under 300 babies die unexpectedly every year in the U.K.

"He was so cute," Shortland added. "It didn't matter if he'd never met you; he had a lovely smile for everyone."

Sources: Mirror, Somerset Live, GoFundMe / Photo Credit: Somerset Live

Should more research be done on SIDS to prevent these deaths?
Yes - 0%
Yes - 0%