A woman who was serving her family a hearty dinner of green beans, meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy was shocked to discover that she was also serving an unexpected side of frog.
Gloria Chubb of Indiana was always making green beans for her family, so bought it by the can because it was easier to make. But on that day, they decided to stop eating the vegetable for good.
"We eat a lot of green beans, we do, we did. Nobody wants anymore now," she said.
It wasn't until she served her son a plate that she noticed a frog was cooked along with the green beans.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"My son put some on his plate and said, 'What is that?' I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something - because they have bacon in them sometimes," she said. "And I took it out of there and it wasn't moldy bacon, it was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans. Other than that he was fully intact."
She then alerted the health department so others who bought the brand could be on the look out for frogs.
"I didn't see it when I dumped it - I didn't see it at all until after I cooked it in the microwave. I was sick, nauseated for two days, and I don't think I'll have green beans anytime soon," she said.
The green bean brand was Meijer. She received a full refund from them after telling them of the incident.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
Rita Hooten, of the St. Joseph County Health Department, said the frog was processed when it was canned at a plant in Wisconsin.
"When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during process," she said.
Chubb wondered if she was the only one who bought a can with a toad in it, but Hooten said it was unlikely.
A consumer specialist who compiled the report about the green beans said the factory canning is fast paced, moving 300 cans per minute. And inside green bean fields are frogs and toads. While it is uncommon to come across one in a can, it does happen.
"I think they should come up with a better way of inspecting and canning vegetables," Chubb said. "I mean anything can happen you know but a whole frog?"