Health

Woman Overdoses on Tea, Ends Up in Detroit Hospital

| by Michael Allen

A Detroit woman is recovering after her extreme addiction to tea landed her in the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan

Dr. Sudhaker Rao says the unidentified female patient drank about 100 cups of tea everyday for 17 years. The woman lost all her teeth and appeared to have cancer, but actually had suffered a fluoride overdose, reports CBS Detroit.

“Among the beverages that contain fluoride, tea actually contains the highest amount of fluoride, however, it is a small quantity in each bag so we don’t drink that many. So if you overflow your system … the kidney is unable to excrete this load of fluoride from this many bags of tea,” said Dr. Rao.

“I should give due credit to her. She actually tried very hard and gave up tea and within a few months she started noticing significant improvement to her symptoms. However, the good thing is her bones are very strong, she will probably never break them."

Dr. Rao says the patient is recovering, but has a high bone density, which makes her bones heavy and sore, reports CityandPress.com.

Popular Video

People were so furious about this Pepsi ad that Pepsi pulled it after just one day. Watch it here and decide if it's offensive:

Dr. Rao says the patient is now hooked on Diet Coke.

Sources: CBS Detroit and CityandPress.com

Popular Video

People were so furious about this Pepsi ad that Pepsi pulled it after just one day. Watch it here and decide if it's offensive: