Sixteen people so far have been sickened due to salmonella poisoning in ground beef. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the sources of the bad beef were two Michigan retailers, Jouni Meats and Gab Halal Foods.
Together, the businesses issued recalls for over 1,000 pounds of ground beef last week, according to the USDA.
Most of the sicknesses, according to federal officials, have been in the Michigan region, but a few were reported in other states such as Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin and Arizona. Seven of the illnesses were linked to a Detroit restaurant that serves a raw beef dish called kibbeh.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
So far, no one has died, but half of those poisoned were hospitalized. The CDC tweeted Monday about the Salmonella infections, and warned against eating raw or undercooked meat.
The CDC also suggests safety measures to prevent Salmonella poisoning in the future, which includes washing hands, kitchen surfaces and utensils before touching the meat, keeping beef and poultry separate from other foods while cooking, and refrigerating meat within two hours after purchasing it.
CDC investigates outbreak of Salmonella infections linked to ground beef. Find out how to protect yourself! go.usa.gov/48VH
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
— CDCgov (@CDCgov) January 28, 2013