Halloween is just around the corner, and that means the aisles are packed with bags upon bags of sweet, delicious candy. However, those candies can pack a big bite when it comes to calories; even the “fun” size servings aren’t always safe.
Eating just a couple may not feel like a lot; but, in reality, you can be consuming hundreds of calories and a lot of sugar. You can still enjoy your Halloween but keep in mind the calories in your candy and cut back portions or choose lower calorie options to stock your bowls.
- 100 Grand: one fun size contains 95 calories
- Milk Duds: thirteen pieces contain 170 calories
- Hershey’s Nuggets Dark Chocolate with Almond: one nugget contains 45 calories
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar: one fun size bar is 77 calories
- Almond Joy: one snack size is 80 calories
- M&M’s Milk Chocolate: one fun size bag has 73 calories
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Smarties: one roll has 25 calories
- Laffy Taffy: one piece contains 30 calories
- Starbursts Fun Size: two pieces have 40 calories
- Haribo Gummy Bears: one snack sized bag contains 50 calories
- Sour Patch Kids: one mini bag has 50 calories
- Airhead: one piece is 60 calories
- Brach’s Candy Corn: one small bag has 53 calories
If you can’t stop after one piece, keep these tips in mind: don’t buy candy until the day of Halloween, therefore you’re less tempted to snack on them. Buying your least favorite candy is a surefire way not to overindulge. Also, be aware of these less than ideal options:
- Reeses’s Peanut Butter Cups: one package is 210 calories, 21 grams of sugar, and 13 grams of fat
- Brach’s Candy Corn: This Halloween classic has 140 calories and 28 grams of sugar for just 26 pieces.
- Butterfinger: one fun sized bar has 100 calories, 10 grams of sugar, and 2 grams of saturated fat
- Kit Kat: one 4 piece bar is 210 calories, 22 grams of sugar, and 11 grams of fat
While candy and Halloween have a strong association, you don’t have to pass out candy! Some fun alternatives to candy that kids will love are:
- Plastic vampire teeth
- Halloween Pencils and Erasers
- Temporary Tattoos
Have a safe and fun Halloween!