Florida Man In Coma After E-Cigarette Exploded In His Face

| by Daniel Rivera
Evan SpahlingerEvan Spahlinger

A Florida man has been hospitalized and put into a medically induced coma after an e-cigarette reportedly exploded in his face.

Evan Spahlinger, 21, was rushed to a local hospital on Oct. 26 after his sister, Ema Richardson, heard an explosion and smelled smoke in their Naples home, WINK News reports. She found Spahlinger on the floor of his bedroom covered in soot.

"I found my brother not breathing, with his whole face burned and his neck burned, and trying to throw up a little or maybe he was gasping for air," Richardson told WINK News.

Richardson said her brother suffered internal and external burns along with damage to his lungs from the explosion.

"And possibly the mouthpiece went, when the cigarette exploded, it went down his throat and exploded again," she said. 

Spahlinger was placed in a medically induced coma to ease the pain.

He reportedly told Richardson that he was "done" with e-cigarettes.

Spahlinger underwent cosmetic surgery on Oct. 27, according to NBC.

North Collier Fire and Rescue continues to investigate the incident, and believes the blast was a result of the e-cigarette's lithium battery, WINK News reports.

E-cigarettes are still largely unregulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, although the FDA tried to classify them as medical devices in 2010, according to American Medical News.

Sources: WINK, NBC 6 South FloridaAmerican Medical News / Photo Credit: Daily Mail