Health

Family Warns Others After Teen Dies Due To Food Allergies

| by Amanda Andrade-Rhoades

Dylan Hill, an 18-year-old from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England, died an hour after eating curry at an Indian restaurant with his girlfriend. 

His family believes he died due to an allergic reaction  Hill had serious food allergies and didn’t have an epinephrine autoinjector, also known as an EpiPen, on him at the time. Although the cause of death hasn’t been determined, the Food Standards Agency is now investigating the restaurant.

Hill's father, Anthony Robinson, and stepmother, Kayte, said the teen became more relaxed about checking food packages as he got older. 

“Dylan had had reactions before but I didn't think it would be that serious,” Robinson told Mirror. "I can't believe it. Everyone who knew him is devastated and in shock. EpiPens aren't practical for an 18-year-old lad who likes to wear skinny jeans. But it is there for a reason, people are not indestructible. We hope this will make people think twice; if it saves one person's life then it is worth it.”

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

Popular Video

A police officer saw a young black couple drive by and pulled them over. What he did next left them stunned:

On the night of his death, Hill ordered korma, which he had eaten before, but reportedly thought it tasted different. After discussing the dish's nut content with a waiter, the server brought him a different meal. 

Hill went home with his girlfriend of 18 months, Demi, and complained about feeling sick and light-headed. He went outside for some air, and Demi later found him collapsed. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

"You never think it's going to happen to you but when it does  it is devastating,” Kayte said. "He was like a free spirit. He was chatty and would talk to anyone. He had a great sense of humour and loved being with his family. He was very popular.”

Hill’s funeral will be held on June 1.

Sources: Mirror, Barnsley Chronicle

Photo Credit: Mirror