Deep-Fried Mars Bar Increases Risk Of Having Stroke Within Minutes Of Eating Scottish Snack

| by Emily Smith

Eating a deep-fried Mars bar can raise the risk of having a stroke within minutes of eating it, according to a study conducted by Glasgow University researchers.

Researchers studied 24 volunteers who were fed the popular Scottish snack and found that just 90 minutes later blood flow to the brain was reduced in men. Women, however, were not affected in that way by the 1,200 calorie candy bar.

“This reduction in the reactivity of blood vessels in the brain has previously been linked to an increased stroke risk – but the changes we observed were modest,” William Dunn, a Glasgow student, said.

Men who already have narrow arteries are at the most risk of a stroke, according to the study.

The study was published in the Scottish Medical Journal and noted that the deep-fried Mars bar is simply a symbol of the high-fat, high-sugar Scottish diet. According to some research, the deep-fried Mars bar is served at 1 in 5 chip shops in Scotland.

The infamous Scottish snack was invented at the Carron Fish Bar in Aberdeenshire in 1992, where 150 are typically sold each week. The fried delight is especially popular among tourists.

“It’s mainly tourists that buy them,” Carron Fish Bar owner Lorraine Watson said, ”but if a child was in every day buying one, we’d be letting the parents know.”

Watson added it’s important that everything is done in moderation.

Sources: Mirror, TIME