Mortuary attendants were startled on Thursday when a man previously declared dead woke up and began to breath.
Paul Mutora, who had swallowed insecticide in a suicide attempt, was pronounced dead on Wednesday night. According to the chief medic, the drug used to treat him led to a nearly undetectable heartbeat, which then led doctors to believe Mutora had died.
"This might have confused medical personnel, but the victim was saved before he could be embalmed," Dr Joseph Mburu, the superintendent in charge of Naivasha District Hospital, said.
On Thursday, two mortuary attendants heard noises in the cold room and ran from the room in fear. By that time, Mutora’s father and other relatives had visited him and had already begun making funeral arrangements.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Later that day, Mutora’s family received the shocking call regarding his health.
Mutora has since recovered in the male ward of the hospital.
"This was a mistake from the start and I apologize to my father," Mutora said of his suicide attempt.
Authorities have launched an investigation into the hospital that pronounced Mutora dead.