'Cinnamon Can Kill' Says Mother Of Boy Who Died After Eating Too Much Cinnamon

| by Tony Tran
Matthew Radar.Matthew Radar.

A child in Kentucky died after he swallowed and choked on cinnamon powder on June 3.

The boy's mother, Brianna Radar, told reporters how her 4-year-old son, Matthew, had been climbing around their family’s kitchen and was able to get hold of some cinnamon powder before eating it and breathing it in.

“He started choking,” the mother said. “It was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed.”

The 4-year-old was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead after an hour and a half.

According to the coroner, he had choked on the cinnamon when he inhaled it.

This death comes at the heels of a popular online trend called the "cinnamon challenge” where participants film themselves eating spoonfuls of the powder, resulting in many of them choking.

According to the LA Times, poison control centers all over the country took hundreds of calls regarding the cinnamon challenge in the first few months of 2012.

Radar hopes her son’s death serves as a warning to people about the dangers of cinnamon.

“To let people know cinnamon can kill,” she said. “All these kids do the cinnamon challenge. They don’t think about the fact it can hurt them.”

Her son’s organs have been donated.

Source: Lex18, LATimes

Photo Credit: KTIV