California Woman Sues Monster Over Son's Death
A California mother is suing Monster Beverage Corp. after her 19 year old went into cardiac arrest last year. Paula Morris believes her son Alex died from habitually drinking Monster energy drinks.
Filed in a Alameda County Superior Court, the suit alleges that Alex would still be alive today if it were not for drinking two cans of Monster energy drinks every day for three years, including the day he died, the Associated Press reported.
During the annual meeting of the American Medical Association this month, a policy was adopted to support a ban on marketing high stimulant/caffeine drinks to people under the age of 18.
“Energy drinks contain massive and excessive amounts of caffeine that may lead to a host of health problems in young people, including heart problems, and banning companies from marketing these products to adolescents is a common sense action that we can take to protect the health of American kids,” said AMA Board Member Alexander Ding.
The American Beverage Association was dismayed.
“We are disappointed that the American Medical Association passed this resolution," said ABA spokeswoman Maureen Beach. "Leading energy drink companies also voluntarily display total caffeine amounts — from all sources — on their packages, as well as an advisory statement indicating that the product is not intended (or recommended) for children."
Monster was sued last year by the family of Anais Fournier, 14, who died after drinking two 24-ounce-cans of Monster.
"Our allegations in the lawsuits are the same and that's the people's deaths were caused by these energy drinks and — more specifically — the defendants failure to warn about the dangers," said attorney Alexander Wheeler, who is representing the plaintiffs in both cases.
Monster claims that because no blood test was done on Fournier, there was no evidence that she died of “caffeine toxicity.”
In a March 2013 release, Monster’s attorney Daniel Callahan said:
"After an examination of Ms. Fournier's medical records, pathology report and autopsy report, the physicians stated conclusively that there is no medical, scientific or factual evidence to support the Maryland Medical Examiner's Report of 'caffeine toxicity' or that Ms. Fournier's consumption of two Monster Energy Drinks 24 hours apart contributed to, let alone was the cause of her untimely death.”
Despite numerous investigation into deaths links to energy drink consumption, including five citing Monster, the Food and Drug Administration says these reports do not prove the drinks lead to fatalities.