British Mom Burns Daughter's Bed To Try To Get Rid Of Unwanted Guests (Photos)

| by Khier Casino

A British woman set her daughter’s crib ablaze after she discovered it was infested with bed bugs.

Clare Knight, 41, says she has tried sprays, steaming, smoke bombs and burning furniture, but nothing will get rid of the blood-sucking bugs which arrived last May.

She told the Daily Mirror that the bugs have made her family’s life a nightmare, suffering sleepless nights and itchy bites in their Church Road, Mitcham, southwest London, home.

The pests have nested in cots, sofas and under the wallpaper.

"It's awful,” the single mother-of-three said. "We were waking up in the middle of the night itching, put the light on and see these little black things running about.”

"It started out just a few,” Knight added. ”Then we realized what they were and we contacted the housing association and said what was going on and they sent someone round, but it seemed to get worse. I have been to the doctor, I have been to the health visitor who was disgusted at how we have to live like this.”

Knight lives in the house with her children who are between one and 25 years old. Her 3-year-old granddaughter and her 20-year-old son’s girlfriend also live in the property, which is owned by London and Quadrant housing association.

Knight said she has seen the bugs coming through the baseboards.

"I called for a quote and was told just to treat three rooms would cost me over £1,000 (over $1,500),” she said. ”I can't believe how L&Q have left us to live.”

London and Quadrant sent pest-controllers to the property in July to exterminate the bugs, but to no avail.

“We appreciate that Miss Knight is experiencing a pest problem, however our tenancy agreements make it clear that infestations within a property are the responsibility of the tenant,” an L&Q spokesman said, according to the Daily Mail. “We did treat the property in July as a one-off, goodwill gesture, but Miss Knight has since notified us that pests have returned. We have agreed to contact the neighbors to see if they are experiencing similar issues.”

Sources: Daily MirrorDaily Mail

Image Credits: Cascade Newsbedbugscouk/Flickr